Art vrs Porn

From: Robert W. Schramm (schrammrus@hotmail.com)
Date: 08/24/02-07:26:31 AM Z

I love these discussions. They are so much fun! Of course the subject of
nudes has come up before as has the connection with pornography. What I have
observed this time is a kind of theme i.e Art = good, Porn = Bad. I don't
thank porn is necessaraly bad. It can serve as kind of an instruction manual
for the sexually inexperienced; however, that said, it can also be bad if it
is inaccurate, as it often is, in the way it depicts women reacting in a way
that men would like them to react. Also, there is the matter of the really
freaky porn, which isn't sexually exciting to most people, just disgusting,
so there is the danger of the viewer assuming that what they are seeing is
"normal."

In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with nudes and body parts as subjects
for works of art. I can't accept the idea that nudes = porn but
what if they do? Art is about human emotion. For most of my life sex was
hidden away because so many people considered it "dirty." "Obscene" was a
word usually used to discribe sex. In my opinion, sex is, at least, a
natural, normal function of the human race and all other species. If you
want obscene, don't go to a porn flick, go to a "Rambo" movie.

I grew up during WWII and saw a lot of obscenity in the movies. It was all
in the newsreels.

Bob Schramm

Check out my web page at:

  http://www.SchrammStudio.com