Re: how 15 minutes of looking at your Weston book per day can make you live l...

ARTHURWG@aol.com
Date: 08/24/02-10:45:42 AM Z

Let's see. What about porno mags like "Older and Bolder," "40+", "50+" etc?
Apparently there's lots of interest in older women, perhaps because most
older men are married to them.

Solomon-Godeau locates the problem in more general terms:

"To identify the problem of women's oppression or violence against women
with the pornographic modes we can recognize 'on sight' is to greatly
oversimplify the matter. On the contrary, it may well be that the most
insidious and instrumental forms of domination, subjugation and
objectification are produced by mainstream images of women rather than by
juridicially criminal or obscene ones....The pressing need, it seems to me,
is not to locate and censor a 'worst offender' class of images... but rather
to combat...the complex network of relations that meshes power, patriarchy,
and repression."