Re: how 15 minutes of looking at your Weston book per day can make you live l...

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 08/24/02-11:39:27 PM Z

On Sat, 24 Aug 2002 ARTHURWG@aol.com wrote:

> Let's see. What about porno mags like "Older and Bolder," "40+", "50+" etc?
> Apparently there's lots of interest in older women, perhaps because most
> older men are married to them.

Don't forget "Hot Mamas Over 40." Actually, however, this is niche
publishing, so to speak, a specialty. My guess would be that the entire
circulation of the genre wouldn't be a fraction of just one mainstream
magazine like Hustler. And in any event object of erotic interest does not
translate into CEO.

> Solomon-Godeau locates the problem in more general terms:
>
> "To identify the problem of women's oppression or violence against women
> with the pornographic modes we can recognize 'on sight' is to greatly
> oversimplify the matter. On the contrary, it may well be that the most
> insidious and instrumental forms of domination, subjugation and
> objectification are produced by mainstream images of women rather than by
> juridicially criminal or obscene ones....The pressing need, it seems to me,
> is not to locate and censor a 'worst offender' class of images... but rather
> to combat...the complex network of relations that meshes power, patriarchy,
> and repression."

I myself am not addressing "oppression" nor do I address other times and
cultures. There probably are parallels, but there will be as many
differences. I'm pointing to the here & now.

J.