Re: how 15 minutes of looking at your Weston book per day can make you live long

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 08/26/02-02:16:44 AM Z

On Sun, 25 Aug 2002, Sandy King wrote:

> I must admit to some skepticism regarding the finding that looking at
> a woman's breast for 15 minutes a day is as beneficial to health as
> jogging. Realistically how one would design an experiment to test
> such a hypothesis? Would the man just sit in place for 15 minutes and
> stare, or might there be touching? Also, I have to presume that
> looking at some breasts would provide ore health benefits than
> looking at others? And how would we test whether more health benefits
> are derived from looking at the breasts of one's spouse or partner,
> or by gazing on foreign ones?

Thanks Sandy -- a breath of fresh air.

The thing does sound like that hoax got a lot of coverage a couple of
years ago -- a paper supposedly on an advanced topic of sociology,
deliberately conceived to be gibberish. It was accepted for a prestigious
conference & published... And whichever journal it was is still smarting
in embarrassment. Of course we don't know where this hoax originated... is
Shannon the only one heard of it?

On the other hand, maybe while the men were looking at the breasts they
weren't speeding in traffic, or eating french fries. I'd also like to know
if this was claimed to be a double-blind test -- if not how did they
select the participants, and how did they check them -- against a control
group? Or merely note an improvement in each fellow?

> In any event I am going to continue the outdoor exercise for my
> health, jogging, cycling, etc. and keep the breast gazing in its
> natural, unscientific setting.

Why stop there? We haven't begun to scratch the surface... what other
parts could be looked at for health benefits? And, since women tend to
outlive men, what are they looking at?

etc.

J,