Re: photography of woman in media/female nudes/erotica and exhibits

From: Thom Mitchell (tjmitch@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 08/26/02-01:04:26 PM Z

I just read an article stating that the actress known for playing attractive
movie roles, Jamie Lee Curtis, age 43, is posing in a bra and panties
without any makeup, hairstyling, etc. to show what a 43 year old woman looks
like. Her contention is that we place too much emphasis trying to look
young. Of course given her genetic history it's easy for her to pose that
way, I am not sure I would. The magazine if I remember correctly is More
magazine. Just an interesting aside to the debate. Judy in all fairness I
think society is shifting to the sexualization of both sexes to the
exclusion of other roles for people. The Man in the Arrow shirt picture of
someone with a disfigurement (wearing an eye patch) as a strong male is no
more. With Calvin Klein, Polo, Guess, Tommy Hilfinger, etc. all portraying
men and women in sexually charged and ambiguous circumstances the subtext,
which is rarely subtle ,is sex, sex, sex.
    Society shifts over time. Photography is unique because of it's low cost
(for the masses) throughout history. Some would even say that the easy
availability of images has helped to propel society towards a vision of
perfection and youth. Women have more power and wealth in American society
now than ever before. Witness that 13 women have legitimate chances of
winning their respective state Governor's races. Now society still has a
long way to go but look at the strides made in a few decades. My mom was a
single working mother in the secretarial pool in 1970 who worked her way
through night school to get her BA and MBA. She is now 30 years later a
consultant on HPIAA. Did she hit glass ceilings, sexism, abuse, and other
things, yes of course. But now those apocryphal stories of being the only
women in a room and being asked to get coffee (which happened to her more
than once) are a thing of the past because most meetings have multiple women
and they won't even stand for it.
    Do women (and minorities can also be substituted anywhere) still
experience problems, yes. Should they, no. Just look at the broadcast TV
images from the early 1970's, All in the Family, MASH and others. Now look
at shows like Judging Amy (never watch it), Providence, Crossing Delancey.
SO many new shows have strong female protagonists carrying the show alone or
as part of an ensemble cast. Things are changing, for women at least. I am
not sure minorities would agree with such a notion of improvement. But then
again look where America was in 1972. Segregation was still being fought and
other than Room 222 there were very few shows with African Americans in
positions of power or authority. Much less Latinos, Asians, etc. Now the
best selling musical genre is Urban Hip-hop and African-American imagery is
becoming a cultural touchstone of authenticity even for white kids from the
suburbs. Things are changing.
  My younger sister who is in her 20's can't imagine listening to being told
she can't do something because of her sex, age or race. (she's white and has
dated minorities) She's been told she can't or shouldn't do things, (she
lives in the south) but she does them anyway. She has her BA and works with
children at the YMCA. Now the kids she teaches will be even more removed
from sexism. Is it a seamless road? No. Are all changes, changes for the
better? No, but the problems should be the topic for anther discussion,
off-line.
    So I saw some great photography and some mediocre photography at the
Whitney Museum's exhibit of America including Vera Lutter's Pepsi sign in
what appeared to be a camera obscura print negative in Black and White. Plus
lot of other stuff. Some interesting some over-rated. I won't name names.
Plus they has a small exhibit of recent acquisition, all I can say is the
recent photography they've acquired can't hold a candle to the early
acquisitions in form, content or craft. Has anyone else seen these exhibits?