Re: Direct Positives

From: Alan Greene (hobbyhorsedada@hotmail.com)
Date: 08/27/02-06:20:27 PM Z

With reference to Bayard's direct postitive procedure, Jean-Claude Gautrand,
Hippolyte Bayard: Naissance de l'image photographique (Amiens: Trois
Cailloux, 1986), pp. 30-31 cites the following résumé, taken from
Blanquart-Évrard [my translation]:

Step one: Soak the paper in a 2% solution of ammonium chloride for five
minutes. Allow to dry.

Step two: Float the paper on a 10% solution of silver nitrate for five
minutes and allow to dry, sheltered from light.

Step three: Expose the silver nitrate laden side of the paper to light until
it becomes black, being careful not to push the exposure to the point where
bronzing occurs. Then wash the paper in many changes of water and dry it,
storing it in a portfolio reserved for this usage.

Step four: Soak the paper for two minutes in a 4% potassium iodide solution;
then place the white side of the paper [i.e., without the exposed silver
nitrate] on a slate surface [a sheet of glass might also work here] which
has been well moistened with the iodizing solution. Expose as soon as
possible, with the action of the light gradually whitening paper and
revealing the image. This can be viewed by quickly removing a stopped-up
hole in the front of the camera.

Step five: Wash in a number of changes of water, then in a bath containing
partly water and partly ammonia, then wash once more in water and allow to
dry.

The resultant image may also be reinforced by a pyrogallique acid solution,
followed by a hypo fix.