Re: Thanks for all the great issues discussed over the past weeks!

From: Jack Fulton (jefulton1@attbi.com)
Date: 08/29/02-07:31:29 AM Z

Boy Chris:
  That was some self-evaluation. Since I teach at one of those unmentioned
Bay Area schools, we do see situations such as yours now and then. Seems as
if you laid every iota of your situation on the operating table . . your key
sentence is, "Maybe it's time to do work for myself."
  If you actually understand what that means you are rounding third base (to
make a metaphor relating to the imminent strike). If you can make everything
from a Daguerreotype to an RA-4 color print, the medium is yours to massage.
  Frankly, I don't think you need (or feel compelled) to make/create a new
body of work. That is an external concoction, partly from the classroom,
partly from the gallery, partly from magazines, where an "essay" consists of
a set of photographs taken for a reason. That is linked w/photojournalism or
wedding photography. If you wish to be in that arena with the so-called
'fine artists' it is a lot like entering a bull ring to flash your cape at
Toro. The 35mm folks Judy was describing a bit ago, were often what we call
flaneurs: peripatetic idlers hanging around city life and observing. One can
be an 'observer' of everything. Susan Sontag called us photographers
voyeurs. Well, that is, in a degree, what those flaneurs did. Now, that's a
mellifluous term isn't it . . the flaneur voyeur for sure.
  You are, in a manner, crying out to destroy the syndrome with which you
are greatly attached: that of the boxed display, the "set" or suite of
images, the exhibit . . all theoretically grouped so as to give the
appearance of coherence.
  Allow yourself to 'do it' and flow with your interests. Do that until you
begin to see structural consistency which, in my mind, is as important, if
not more so, that content consistency. When you psyched by the fact that you
are now "seeing" rather than finding, then it's time to think, if you wish,
of doing the MFA thing.
Jack Fulton