Re: The Natural Order of Things

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 08/29/02-11:35:10 AM Z

I'm not terribly surprised that there are 30 institutes of
psychoanalysis in New York City or that most large cities have one or
two; that is consistent with my point that psychoanalysis forms a very
small island in the universe of mental health professionals
(psychologists and psychiatrists).

The fact that Freud's ideas have become part of the popular culture
doesn't change the fact that there's no evidence to support them, or to
support the hypothesis that they help people improve their lives or
understand the world better. As a wise person once said, it's not what
we don't know that hurts us, it's what we know that ain't so.

I didn't quite understand the red herring about other ridiculous therapy
techniques; there's no end of them, and there's no evidence to support
their use either. I'm not here to argue that every (or even any)
therapeutic technique other than psychoanalysis is valid and useful. But
since you bring up the recovered memory business, that was a direct
outgrowth of Freudian thinking.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree; further argument on the matter
seems fruitless.

Katharine Thayer