RE: The Natural Order of Things

From: Steve Bell (veracity000@earthlink.net)
Date: 08/29/02-01:33:45 PM Z

It's time for me to interject. i've been reading this conversation for long
enough, to not say anything. so here goes:

it really bothers me when people use the 'natural order of things' argument
to try and justify things. not that you are really trying to justify
anything, Arthur, i think you're just posing the question to see what
people think. anyway, i don't really think it is a very good argument. i've
heard one too many times the 'boys will be boys' excuse, come out of enough
peoples' mouths to find it ridiculous. when people, in this case men, do
something that is hurtful to an individual, and more importantly a large
percentage of the population, i don't care if it is natural. i don't really
think that nature is perfect, and i think that there are a lot of 'natural'
things about people that can and should be changed. one being the natural
propensity for men to objectify women, at least to the extent that it is
done. now, don't get me wrong, i do believe that some objectification is
inevitable, but i don't think all of it can be so easily justified. and
when it gets to the point of being hurtful, which it often very quickly
does, it needs to be stopped.

that is my piece.

regards,

Steve

between

> men and women are dictated by the "natural order of things"? Isn't it
also

> possible that "the gaze" that so many feminist theoreticans seem to
detest

> is an intrensic part of the human model? Arthur

--- Steve Bell
--- Veracity000@earthlink.net
--- http://www.unbeknownst.org/~insurrective /
http://www.angelfire.com/zine2/insurrection
--- In fact, rock, rather than being an example of how freedom can be
achieved within the capitalist structure, is
     an example of how capitalism can, almost without a conscious effort,
deceive those whom it oppresses...So
     effective has the rock industry been in encouraging the spirit of
optimistic youth take-over that rock's truly
     hard political edge, it's constant exploration of the varieties of
youthful frustration, has been ignored
     and softened. --Michael Lydon