Re: Enlarged negs from pyro negs

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@att.net)
Date: 08/29/02-06:49:59 PM Z

Carl Weese wrote:
> ... But then, I don't make
> enlarged negatives because I find all enlargements from large format
> negatives disappointing compared to contact prints.

There is no real "magic" in a pyro negative. The resulting effects in
the print can be obtained through other methods. Although pyro does
have it's own advantages as do other developers as well as drawbacks.

As to enlarged negatives. Yes and no. If they are built with
techniques such as those described in my guide (at web site below) they
can offer a negative impossible to create with camera, film, and
developer of any combination. Or they can give the effects possible
with any camera, film, developer. If they are simply enlarged to make
bigger without any "building", then they will most likely produce
inferior prints as noted by Carl. But enlarged negatives that are built
can produce some of the most elegant prints.

For some time (and still occasionally) I even built negatives of the
same size (without enlarging) to take advantage of the immense control
possible.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/