Re: The Pictorial Nude and Pictorialism Generally

From: Carl Weese (cweese@earthlink.net)
Date: 08/29/02-08:21:56 PM Z

Judy,

There is no such thing as a candid camera, and never was. The photographer
is always present, people always know. The worst cliche in the world is the
fly on the wall that ain't. There are no invisible photographers, thank
goodness.

People always ask you to take their picture. Bill Pierce and I once
discussed asking all our friends to contribute their favorite "hey Mister,
take my picture" (lack of PC noted in advance) picture for a book. We didn't
do it, but should have.

In 1990 I was a couple hundred rolls into a 35mm project photographing in
Kingston, NY, and a group of four girls, aged about 11 or 12, said "hey
Mister, take our picture". I shot several frames, one of which is among the
best pictures I've ever made. Ten minutes later I got hasseled by the cops,
because a neighbor called them to say a great big bad man was going around
the neighborhood taking pictures of little girls. Since that is _not_ in
fact a crime, and back then the cops knew it wasn't, I was allowed to go on
my way. I suspect today I'd have needed a lawyer to get my butt out of the
hoosegow. It's still a terrific picture. And the girls knew I was there, it
is their response to a viewing presence that makes the pictue, and the
instant response of the small camera was absolutely vital to the making of
this image: the other frames are technically perfect, but useless.

I know what the small camera is for. Invisibility isn't it.

---Carl

--
        web site with picture galleries
        and workshop information at: