Re: Thanks for all the great issues discussed over the past weeks!

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 08/30/02-10:54:55 AM Z

I actually get ArtNews, Art in America, American Paintings, American Artist;
used to get Art Forum and it wasn't for me. Lots of times both mags cover
the same exhibits, but that's not a bad thing to have different voices. Then
a bunch of photo mags all over the board (Photovision, Camera Arts, View
Camera, PDN, Photo Techniques, Aperture). I like the articles in both art
mags but mostly I find lately lots of photographers are written about, and I
use both for inspiration for my journal. I have, since 95, kept a journal
of all visual items I like. When I see it in a mag I cut it out and glue it
in this journal. If it is a painting I wonder how I could do such
photographically. But I also have a degree in painting, as that is how I
came to photography in the first place--it was required for my painting
degree. Mostly I have, now, 5 of these 8x10 books chock full of all the art
I love, and when I get in a rut, I just page through them and never cease to
get inspired. I also discovered, by this method, what I like, what kind of
composition appeals to me, subject matter, mood.
     I write around the pictures with any technique notes I come across of
import, so they are informational journals as well as visual. I tried, one
time, to get my Experimental Photography class to do journals like this for
part of their grade. Not a one got into it--they mostly cut and pasted the
day before it was due. So now I show my journals in class, but don't assign
it. Those who will benefit will do it on their own.
     Many times these magazines have provided fodder for experimentation in
the darkroom; off I go, trying some weird thing. But the result has been
my 200pp Experimental Photography Workbook, so even the stuff that doesn't
work out very well has been beneficial.
     Well, THAT was a longer answer than your question asked!
Chris