Re: Coffer workshop et al

ARTHURWG@aol.com
Date: 08/30/02-12:43:27 PM Z

Hi Judy. Thanks so much for the heads-up on the workshop. I finally figured
out who to contact and have signed up-- I think I got the last place. It
should be fantastic. I love the look of wet plate almost as much as the
Calotype!

And BTW, with all this talk of Weston, the Nude and such, I was reminded of
his girlfriend Margrethe Mather. Have you read the recent book, "Margrethe
Mather & Edward Weston" A Passionate Collaboration," ? Wonderful book. She
was a free spirit who was not above trading sexual favors for supplies down
at the local camera shop. Very talented photographer herself, she was
apparently the key to Weston's success as he was just a run-of-the-mill hack
until he met her and she showed him her style and technique, which he adopted
(ripped off?) as his own. He soon showed her the door and never looked back.
He refused, for the most part, to acknowledge the relationship and she came
to a rather sad end. Earlier this year one of her portraits of Weston sold at
auction for more than $200,000.

All the best. Arthur