RE: Salted Paper

From: Liam Lawless (liam.lawless@blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: 08/31/02-09:37:51 AM Z

Sandy,

Long time since I've done salt, but think I recognise the problem. With me,
general staining - within the image area, not margins - occurred during the
final wash. Greyish-brown colour, and could get really bad with a long wash
(toning didn't avoid it). I believe poor quality tap water (in the first
wash) is to blame; Terry King had the problem even worse than me and said
his prints stained as soon as his prints hit the first wash.

I've also had the problem with another silver process. It doesn't strike in
all locations, but the cure is to give an initial rinse in
distilled/deionised for 2-3 minutes, and then continue the first wash in tap
water for as long as required. I don't think it's chlorides in the water
that are responsible because something else that worked was to give a first
rinse in boiled and cooled tap water, which seems to suggest that dissolved
oxygen might be the reason.

As for directions for salt, I don't think you need them except to point out
(as you're probably aware) that you can use many different salting
solutions. The commonest one (in all the textbooks) is, I think, sod.
chloride, citric acid and sod. citrate, but I got what I considered much
better results with my own, of, if I remember, sod. chloride and Rochelle
salt. The paper also makes a difference; on heavily buffered papers like
some of the Arches, you'll get a proportion of silver carbonate forming when
you silver, and this gives the image colour a pronounced red shift. You'll
also see this effect with VDB.

Hope we're talking about the same thing & that this is some use.

Liam