Thanks Joe! (Was: Re: art teachers: let's feel their pain

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 08/31/02-03:58:41 AM Z

Joe Smigiel wrote:

> Also, I recently read a fairly interesting book by James Elkins (professor of Art History at the Art Institute of Chicago) entitled "Why Art Cannot be Taught." (ISBN 0-252-06950-1 if anyone is interested.) Worth reading especially given the context of this recent thread. He's also written a number of very cool books like "Paintings and Tears", "How to Use Your Eyes", Pictures of the Body", and my favorite: "What Painting Is" which discusses painting in the context of alchemy. Very neat stuff.

I have yet to track down a copy of Why Art Can't Be Taught, but on Joe's
recommendation I ordered up everything that Powells did have in stock by
this author; the shipment arrived in yesterday's mail and I've spent
some delightful time reading through the pile. I really enjoyed What
Painting Is and Pictures & Tears. And I think Why Are Pictures Puzzles
(? not sure I'm remembering that title right) will be useful if I can
make myself read it all the way through; I just couldn't get into it on
first read. Next in the pile is How to Use your Eyes, which on a quick
flip-through the pages looks in a way like a complement to Edward
Tufte's books on how to present information visually. Also in the pile
was Jon Schueler's autobiography, Sound of Sleat, which was a fast read.
I love the man's paintings, but gosh what a dreadful person. Anyway, I'm
indebted to Joe for these Elkins books I might not have come across
otherwise. Thanks,
Katharine