Re: art teachers: let's feel their pain

From: Joe Smigiel (jsmigiel@KVCC.EDU)
Date: 08/22/02-06:55:17 PM Z

Regarding the discussion of Art school, teachers, and the "it's been done before" threads, I'd like to add a few comments.

Last weekend I participated in a Landscape Photography workshop led by Mark Klett who probably fits the "been done before" label better than any other photographer. (You'll recall the "Rephotographic Project" and his recent "Third View" which incorporates some newer imaging {digital} technology.)

On a personal level, landscape photography is probably my weakest aesthetic arena ( I tend to view the land descriptively because of my academic training in earth sciences and this seems to block any artistic visions I might have about the land. Anyways, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.) I also thought It would be interesting to hear how a fellow geologist turned photographer might approach the landscape as artistic subject.

While I found the workshop very rewarding in terms of Klett's vision and thought, what I was most impressed by was his manner of teaching. Individuals at all levels in photography were participating in the workshop and the work critiqued ran the entire gamut in terms of quality and originality. In every case, Mark was able to be encouraging, and where needed, was able to point out weak areas without making anyone feel uncomfortable, little less humiliated. He is simply a gifted teacher who also happens to be a very nice guy and accomplished, insightful photographer. It was a great combination. And it proves there are alternatives to the examples discussed of late in this thread. I'd also point out that several members of this list must also be great and encouraging teachers as well as photographers given the helpfullness and tone they exhibit in this venue.

So, I'd second the thought about moving on to a different institution if your experience has been negative and discouraging.

Also, I recently read a fairly interesting book by James Elkins (professor of Art History at the Art Institute of Chicago) entitled "Why Art Cannot be Taught." (ISBN 0-252-06950-1 if anyone is interested.) Worth reading especially given the context of this recent thread. He's also written a number of very cool books like "Paintings and Tears", "How to Use Your Eyes", Pictures of the Body", and my favorite: "What Painting Is" which discusses painting in the context of alchemy. Very neat stuff.

Joe