Re: Artist I have been looking at during this nude discussion

From: Darryl Baird (dbaird@umflint.edu)
Date: 08/31/02-02:23:25 PM Z

Chris,

The reference is an essay entitled "On Redaction" in the collection _Depth of
Field_. I picked up this copy for $3.00 at a Borders Outlet. Great price, great
reading. Make sure you read the footnotes... there is where he often lays his
golden eggs. As a teaser, here's a quote from the essay...

(with regards to Woodman) "This is one of the few instances of I know of where
the cradle and the grave have been robbed simultaneously."

There is lots of controversy in this short essay. He takes swipes at Winogrand,
Arbus, Woodman and (mostly) a lot of the critical/curatorial establishment.

--Darryl