RE: Warning: Digital Question

From: Temi (Temi@TemiOriginals.com)
Date: 12/01/02-03:30:56 PM Z

Hi Sandy,
Below are just my thoughts on your question.

When I scan an image to print on my printer, I find that a resolution of
300 ppi gives me a good print. If I plan to print a different size than
my original that I am scanning, then I use a multiplier so that when
enlarged I will have the 300 ppi that gives me a good print.

Example: You are scanning an image 4 x 6 1/2 with the intentions of
printing around 13 x 19. This is approx 300%. Thus I would scan at 900
ppi and thus when enlarged to 13 x 19 it would still be the 300 ppi that
I find gives me a good print.

BUT, there is no final rule because each scanner and/or printer may be
set to do some things automatically.

I would try selecting just a one or two inch section of the image as a
test to see if the results are satisfactory for your purpose. I use this
procedure because I often scan and print on different printers than my
own and this saves on paper and ink.

Temi