Re: Warning: Digital Question

From: Jack Fulton (jefulton1@attbi.com)
Date: 12/01/02-08:46:06 PM Z

> My question is this. What are the pros and cons of of the two
> following scenarios: 1) scanning at 100% of the 4 X 6.5" negative
> size at the maximum optical resolution of 2450 dpi, re-sizing later
> in PhotoShop, or 2) scanning at the desired printing size of 13X19"
> 300dpi?
Sandy:
  I will always scan @ full resolution. Often, a scanner will not quite give
you the optimum sharpness. So to scan @ full res is wise. Why not crop what
you want in the original scan @ the full resolution. Manipulate it however
in your program (Photoshop I presume). Make a copy of that and then reduce
to whatever dpi you wish for printing. that ought to give you the best
result.
Jack