Re: Warning: Digital Question

From: Clyde Rogers (xrogers@attbi.com)
Date: 12/01/02-08:20:19 PM Z

On Sunday, December 1, 2002, at 02:14 PM, Sandy King wrote:
> Phillip wrote:
>> If I'm not
>> mistaken, this scanner is capable of two pass scanning which you
>> can use to extend the dynamic range.
>

> If so I can't find anything about that in the manual. However, since I
> am scanning negatives, would there be any advantage to extending the
> dynamic range?

I've found 16-bit single pass scans for negatives to be fine.

>> I recommend Vuescan software over
>> Epson's.
> I am working with SilverFast, not the Epson Twain software. If Vuescan
> better than SilverFast?

I can't speak for Vuescan, but I like SilverFast for negative scanning
quite a bit. The Epson software is weak.

>> Using plug-ins such as MrSid or Genuine Fractals Print Pro (both from
>> LizardTech, Inc.) to res-up your image will give you a slight
>> advantage
>> over
>> Photoshop's engine.
>
> Is there a site for downloading these files?

I use Fred Miranda's SI action for resizing, and like it as well as
Genuine Fractals PrintPro.

> I have to say that the quality I am getting from the Epson 2450 with
> the 5x7 negatives is really very good.

I scan 5x7 on an Epson 1680, and as long as I don't go too big (3X
enlargement), I can't see any difference between it and expensive
scans. I think these flatbeds are a great bargain for minimal
enlargement of large format negatives.

--clyde