Re: Scanning for greater dynamic range

From: Ken Watson (watsok@frii.com)
Date: 12/02/02-02:47:24 PM Z

While I agree where there is noise it will happen at random locations, how
do you determine which are noise caused artifacts from a few scans?
In astronomy you are looking at a constant image doing many scans or samples
of the same image. As I understand things they are constantly integrating
the photons they get so a million samples is a trivial issue. IF you did 16,
or the more the better scan's of the same image and had the software to
utilize these scans it might help.

The other place where this is completely different with astronomy, and would
confuse a program ,is that with each scan the bulbs heat up, and the sensor
along with it's electronics heat up. There is a shift in color of the bulbs
and they add more infra red into the mix. In addition, as they are warm up,
their intensity is increased as I remember. The sensor is extremely
sensitive to IR. The rest of the electronics response will also shift as
they are used / with heat. With the sky, the color temp remains about the
same over long periods of time and astronomers tend to pay more than a few
hundred dollars for their equipment to avoid a lot problems suggested.

 If you had control over the exposure time you could first expose for the
darkest areas and let the lightest areas bloom and reject them. Then another
exposure for the thinnest areas with the shadows becoming completely black
and they could be rejected. By combining these scans it would give much
better results. This would be effectively increasing the number of bits of
resolution you would have. Then the issue is determining where the two
scans meet in density.

Noise in scanning can be seen as speckles in the black area's ( minimum
number of electrons ) if anyone wants to check. There are also non
linearity's that multiple scans will not correct for. Also has anyone
noticed it is impossible to get fluorescent colors correct? There is an
issue using only three colors to try and get a good color map off a scan.
The peak sensitivity of the sensor and the peak emission of the lamps do not
correlate. Also some of the blue light leaks into the green channel and the
green channel is sensitive to a lot of the "red" spectrum. Engineering
compromises. It has been explained to me that to get real accurate color
reproduction it will take 4 to 6 different color strips in the sensors.
Given what we have things look mostly pretty good.