RE: toning VDB & kalli - 2 questions

rurmonas@senet.com.au
Date: 12/03/02-07:20:34 AM Z

Quoting Liam Lawless <liam.lawless@blueyonder.co.uk>:

> To test whether any sensitive stuff is present, put a spot of
> sepia toner solution in a highlight area. Don't think I've ever tried it,
> but I'd bet a millionth of a dollar that the fix is needed.

I can't remember where I had come across the silver sulphide theory, but
have not had any luck finding a chemical proof one way or the other. So I
guess I had better do some tests.

What I propose is to make 3 VDB prints, with exposure as equal as I can.
Then:

Take one of the prints in an unfixed, but washed condition and put it in a
polysulphide toner. This should stain in the highlights / borders if any
unwanted silver compounds remain on the paper.

Take a second print after fixing + washing and put it in polysulphide toner.
This will tone further if there is any unconverted silver around.

The third print will be fixed and washed and is the reference print for
comparison to 1 or 2.

Do these tests seem resonable?

Richard

---