Re: Japanese papers

jeffbuck@swcp.com
Date: 12/05/02-02:58:43 PM Z

Clay: The "Gampi" I got from Kinsella looked really attractive dry and
unused. There was a white, kind of opalescent, variety and some stuff roughly
the color of grocery bags (a nice color). Pretty expensive. The surface
of the paper showed a VERY apparent and random-ish structure of the plant
filaments (or whatever you call it). Thickish stuff. As for wet
processing, the surface seemed to decompose somewhat in the middle (causing
various unsightly blemishes) and pretty much came to pieces around the edges.
The paper dried to a very attractive parchment-type look in either color.
Image quality was atrocious, no matter what I tried (tween, grain alcohol --
which perhaps I should have taken internally, maybe I misunderstood the
directions -- you name it). Real uneven, streaky, grainy, splotchy -- awful.
A shame, because you could tell, even with all the problems, that the paper
gave good, smooth tonal gradation. If somebody has found a "Gampi" paper that
holds up in wet-processing, coats worth a hoot, etc., I'd love to try again.
-JB