Re: Gampi

From: Keith Schreiber (jkschreiber@earthlink.net)
Date: 12/14/02-05:20:09 PM Z

Jeff, Clay, Jack, et al,

I am responsible for most of the paper chapter in the Arentz book, so maybe
I can clear up some details regarding "gampi" paper. Names of Japanese
papers can be very confusing since there seems to be little consistency from
vendor to vendor. For the testing that I did for the Arentz book, I obtained
samples of "Gampi" from Daniel Smith and "Gampi Torinoko" from New York
Central. From the catalog descriptions (20x30", 96gsm) I guessed that they
were the same paper and that proved to be the case. I got samples of both
colors (nicely described by Jeff below) from both vendors. In all cases I
found the paper to have good wet strength. I obtained the best results using
an addition of 1 drop of 20% Tween 20 per 2ml of coating solution. Image
quality was every bit equal to the best results I've seen on any other
paper. I usually print pure Pd but found Pt/Pd 1:1 to work well too. Due to
its expense I haven't done much work with it beyond the tests and a handfull
of other prints.

I have noticed that Gampi is no longer listed in the Daniel Smith catalog.

The Kinsella (www.kinsellaartpapers.com/PriceList/oct2001.pdf) listing
(22x30", 96gsm) may or may not be the same paper. The weight is the same,
but the size is different.

At Hiromi (www.hiromipaper.com/), I think the best bet would be HP-71 Gampi
Torinoko White.

Finally, a couple of suggestions for handling fragile papers:
1. Use fiberglass window screen a bit larger than the paper to transfer from
one bath to the next.
2. Instead of moving the paper from tray to tray, keep the print in one tray
and dump and fill from beakers or buckets if you are working large.

Regards,
Keith

J Keith Schreiber
www.jkschreiber.com