Re: VDB test results: related concerns

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 12/08/02-11:31:43 AM Z

Ed Buffaloe wrote:

>3% citric acid might be too strong for VDB. After 2 minutes each in 6
>successive trays of water with only a pinch of citric acid, I find that my
>VDB has become visibly less dense. Of course, it seems to gain much of it
>back in the fix...

I would expect some loss of density because acid bleaches the silver.
However, if the clearing baths are used after toning with gold,
platinum or palladium it is possible that there would be no fade back.

What I would propose as an alternative VDB processing procedure for
maximum image permanence would be this:

1. Expose the print.

2. Wash for a couple of minutes to get rid of most of the soluble
silver halides.

2. Tone.

3. Brief rinse.

3. 2 minutes in clearing bath #1 = 3% citric acid.

4. Brief rinse.

4. 2 minutes in clearing bath #2 = 3% citric acid.

5. Brief rinse.

5. 2 minutes in fixing bath #1 = 5% sodium thiosulfate

6. Brief rinse.

6. 2 minutes in fixing bath ##2 = 5% sodium thiosulfate

6. Brief rinse.

7. 2 minutes in 1% sodium sulfite solution.

8. Final wash of 30 minutes

This is obviously a much more complicated procedure than what is
normally used for VDB but in theory it should establish the acidic
conditions that would assure maximum elimination of residual iron
salts. Is this necessary to get image permanence? I don't know.
Richard Knoppow has provided information on how to test for residual
silver salts. Does anyone know how to test for residual iron salts?

Sandy King