Re: Chemical availability

From: Scott Wainer (smwbmp@starpower.net)
Date: 12/08/02-07:41:17 PM Z

I recently made a rather large purchase of chemistry from Photographer's
Formulary, and was asked to submit an "DEA Authorized Purchase Form" for
three of the chemicals (Hydrochloric Acid, Sulfuric Acid, & Pot.
Dichromate). When I asked about the form I was told that it was something
they required, not the DEA. The form is to protect them against being sued
in the event one of us misuses the chemicals. There is a move here in US to
hold a manufacturer responsable for the use of there product - look at the
gun industry.

As for difficulty obtaining chemicals, Photographer's Formulary has limited
the package quantity of some chemicals - namely Hydrochloric Acid and
Sulfuric Acid to 100 ml sizes though they will sell you as namy packages as
you want (you just pay more). I just recieved a catalog from City Chemical
who carries much more hazardous chemicals and they do not have any quantity
limits or require any signed form.

Scott Wainer
smwbmp@starpower.net