Re: VDB test results: related concerns

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 12/08/02-09:53:52 PM Z

Judy Seigel wrote:

>Someone (in a message buried in the 100 or so) asked about a test for
>residual iron. The chemical is called TIRON, which is mixed in very minute
>quantities in -- as I recall, sodium hydroxide. I got the procedure and
>formula out of one of the old chemical manuals, but never did the actual
>test.

Thanks for the tip. Never heard of TIRON. Would be interested in the
formula if you can locate it.

>HOWEVER, let me suggest, instead of all this fear of fading -- how about
>a brown gum print? Perfectly archival...

Going to pass on the brown gum print since carbon printing is just as
permanent and lends itself more to my photographic aesthetic. And to
be frank, my interest in VDB is mostly academic, not fear of fading,
though I see nothing wrong with trying to process for maximum
archival quality.

Sandy