Re: Chemical availability

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 12/09/02-04:19:22 PM Z

> > I just placed an order with B&H (doing my part to keep the great state of
> NY
> > afloat - are you in trouble down there, Judy??? I mean, besides the 7" of

Well, Mayor Bloomberg just raised the real estate tax 18-1/2 percent. As
for the temperature -- who goes outdoors? Only mad dog-walkers and part
polar bears. Snow? We have no more snow... our heat vaporized it.

But about the chemical availability, they are all cuckoo and you can quote
me on that. Of course I can't swear for this year, but a few years ago
you could still buy a gallon of muriatic acid at Javonovich (or however
they spell it, sort of an upscale Home Depot in Manhattan) for SIX
DOLLARS. That is hydrochloric acid, construction grade, the same stuff
that sells from chemical suppliers for about $30 for a pint (500 cc) plus
hazardous shipping and fill out more forms than for your green card.

Muriatic (used for things like cleaning marble and sluicing down stucco to
raise the surface texture) is THE SAME strength as HCL, but not chemically
as pure. I tested it against the pure stuff for various bleaching baths
and whatever, found it worked AT LEAST AS WELL. I'd say for anything
that's going to be mixed with tap water there's no difference. (I suspect
that the guardians of public safety think muriatic is some kind of eye
drop.)

The problem, however, is what the heck are you going to do with a gallon?
Mine came in a heavy plastic container which melted in a while, corroded
the sink over it and everything else that end of the studio. I poured it
into glass & it dissolved the covers... Finally I diluted and discarded
most, saved a pint in brown glass & maybe use an ounce from time to
time...

It may not be in good odor so to speak for clearing bath any more, but
these things do recycle. Or if you know a construction firm go borrow a
cup..

As for acetic -- you've got to give any of it house room, and that's more
problematic here than in the great state of Maine. The glacial takes up
less space ounce for ounce of final bath, and since in most cases it
doesn't explode or anything, it's not a problem to keep. Doesn't seep &
outgas like HCL. You mix whatever strength you want. (I keep the formula
on the wall because my brain seeps... 5 parts of something for every 8
parts of something else, right?).