It just floated away!!!!!!!!!

From: Scott Wainer (smwbmp@starpower.net)
Date: 12/09/02-05:50:32 PM Z

I just got my bible (KOL) after along time of searching and waiting (they
let the darn thing lapse in printing). And read till I just couldn't keep
out of the darkroom anymore. So I decided to make a couple of salted paper
prints.

Not being satisfied with the sort of flat and dull quality of past prints, I
decided to double size. I remember reading somewhere that double sizing
improves Dmax and imparts a semi-gloss. Both sizings were with KOL's
recommendation of 28 gm of gelatin per liter (pp 142 - newest version). The
second size, applied after the first was completely dry, also had 15 ml of
Glyoxal added per liter.

Once the second sizing was dry, I followed it with the salting solution and
finally the sensitizer without pot. dichromate. Printing was normal
(highlights somewhat dense and the shadows almost bronze as per the
Christopher James book). I placed the print to wash at about 75-80F in slow
running water and when I went to remove it from the water parts of the image
began to slide off.

After trying two more prints on different papers - same results - I quit for
the night. In thinking about it today, should I have added the Glyoxal to
the first sizing also? I didn't read anything in KOL to support that idea -
it just seems that the whole reason to harden the gelatin is to keep it from
doing what it did or am I missing something?

While on the subject of salt prints, I was always told that I needed a
silver concentration of approx. 13% in the sensitizer. KOL supports this but
the Christopher James book lists two strengths - 13% and 22%. I also read
somewhere that you couls use as little as 7% silver. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Scott Wainer
smwbmp@starpower.net