Re: Alternative Photography in NYC

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 12/11/02-02:08:45 PM Z

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Tod Gangler wrote:

> Currently on view at the Cavin-Morris Gallery in Manhattan (sorry I don't
> know the address, it is too far out of my neighborhood,) is a show with
> some alt-photo work. It's called "Frida's World" and features portraits of
> Frida Kahlo by Diego Rivera, Lola Alverez Bravo, Imogen C, Nick Muray and
> many others. The show has at least a few alt-photo pieces, including what
> I hear is a beautiful platinum print of Imogen's image of Frida, along with
> 2 color carbon prints made here at my studio in Seattle. Both of these

Congratulations..! when you say "one shot camera" that's the kind that
took three color separations at once?

> color images were taken by Nickolas Muray. One was taken on 5x7 glass
> plates with a Devin one-shot camera in 1938 and the other was photographed
> on old Kodachrome with a Kodak Bantam in the early 1940's.

Cavin Morris is at 560 Broadway at Prince Street, Soho, a "mall"
building (one of the few remaining, many gone to Chelsea) which has a
couple of other interesting galleries that show photo, tho little "alt"
that I recall. It's also right upstairs from Dean and Deluca where you can
get equivalent deliciousness in key lime (or other tart) and down the
block from the new Apple Store about which I will keep my comments to
myself until I've sold my stock...

> I am always thrilled to hear that another issue of Post-Factory Photography
> is soon to be coming our way- thank you Judy!

Oh thank *you,* kind sir...

Judy