Re: OT Photographer Arrested For Taking Pics Near Cheney Hotel

From: Gordon J. Holtslander (holtsg@duke.usask.ca)
Date: 12/12/02-10:18:36 AM Z

This appears to be a revisitation of a previous thread that had been
declared offtopic.

But since it has been brought up - there has been some additional
items on this story that I am aware of.

The Denver based Rocky Mountain News has a brief story outlining that the
Denver police dispute his story.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_1601428,00.html

In Declan McCullagh's Politech site

There is a response from the Lt. listed as in charge of the biased
policing section.

http://www.politechbot.com/p-04239.html

For what it is worth here is 2600's response to the story:

http://www.2600.com/news/display/display.shtml?id=1455

If anyone is aware of more _defintive_ information on this I would welcome
it.

I am concerned that a discussion on the evils of government will ensue.
While many would find this interesting this list is not the place to carry
it out.

Greg Schmitz brought this story up previously , but to emphasize the
importance of the freedom to take pictures, not to begin a debate on
government policy.

Gord Holtslander
List Manager

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Garry Lewis wrote:

> >Has any REAL newspaper or news outlet verified this story.
>
> as a matter of fact, I did do a Google search and checked the on line archives of both
> Denver papers and came up with nothing for the dates or for the name Maginnis. As of now,
> I'm filling it as unverified urban legend.
>
> yours willing to be corrected,
> Garry D. Lewis
> "It's getting to be a lot like Christmas"-- grumpy,grouchy,greedy and God if I hear that
> Christmas
> carol one more time I'll.....!

Gordon J. Holtslander Dept. of Biology
holtsg@duke.usask.ca 112 Science Place
http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg University of Saskatchewan
Tel (306) 966-4433 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Fax (306) 966-4461 Canada S7N 5E2