Re: Photographer Arrested & potassium oxalate

From: Mateo (mateo@mateoleyba.com)
Date: 12/12/02-11:54:55 AM Z

on 12/12/02 5:26 AM, Garry Lewis at glewis@ftw.nrcs.usda.gov wrote:

>> Has any REAL newspaper or news outlet verified this story.
>
> as a matter of fact, I did do a Google search and checked the on line archives
> of both
> Denver papers and came up with nothing for the dates or for the name Maginnis.
> As of now,
> I'm filling it as unverified urban legend.

Arrested

I am a photo editor at one of the Denver newspapers and passed this story on
to the appropriate word editors last week after we received an e-mail from a
person claiming to be a friend of this Maginnis guy. I'll see if anyone was
ever able to talk to this guy.

Potassium Oxalate

I was printing some stuff and had to break out my jug of potassium oxalate
#5. When I picked up the container it sounded like a giant maraca. I heated
up the juice to about 140š but the crystals would not go away. I filtered
them out and used it anyway as I already had the exposure going. The print
looked OK, but I only had time to do the one so I have nothing to judge it
against. Would it be the PO or the Dichro that formed the crystals? If it's
the Dichro, I would assume that I'm not getting the full contrast effect, if
it's the PO, would it even matter? Has anyone had this same experience? I
know the short answer is to mix up fresh stuff to be sure, just curious.
(And I rate mixing things right up with processing film, it sucks.)

mateo