Ammonium Vs. Sodium Thiosulfate

From: Scott Wainer (smwbmp@starpower.net)
Date: 12/12/02-05:23:19 PM Z

Having been primarily a silver gelatin printer and concerned with
permenance, I began using Ammonium Thiosulfate based fixing baths for prints
after reading an article on the subject by Ilford. They recommended using a
film strength fixer for one minute to reduce the amount fixer absorbed by
fiber paper. Since I now work with a number of alt. processes requiring
fixing, recent readings have brought several questions to mind:

1. What is the difference (strength wise) between Ammonium and Sodium
Thiosulfate? I remember reading somewhere (The Darkroom Cookbook?) that the
ammonium is about 40% stronger - is that about right?

2. Most reference materials list fixers based on Sodium Thiosulfate. Would
significant processing changes need to be made if I subsituted Ammonium
Thiosulfate?

3. Would the use of Ammonium Thiosulfate cause prints bleach if the fixer
was made to the same strength as the one using Sodium Thiosulfate?

I tried searching the list but I ran into several hundred pages which I
don't have the time to read. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Scott Wainer
smwbmp@starpower.net