Re: Susan Sontag article

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 12/13/02-03:27:13 PM Z

On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Shannon Stoney wrote:

> Jack wrote:>
>
> Re the Sontag article . . I'll read it. For sure. But, she may have
> > mellowed since she does live w/Annie Liebowitz and they just had a child.
>
> !!! Always good to hear the gossip from Manhattan. What an interesting
> thing. So, maybe Annie talked her into it? Or out of it (her antipathy to
> photography that is. )

Shannon, when you speak of Sontag's "antipathy to photography" I wonder
what you mean -- something she actually wrote, or something imputed to
her, or something imputed to something someone else imputed to her ?

I've only read two of Sontag's books (that I recall, others could be lost
in the dim mists of time)."Against Interpretation," and "On Photography."
I found both excellent although naturally I didn't agree with every
statement. However I do not RECALL anything that could be construed as
"antipathy to photography," nor did I find that in a second reading of "On
Photography" when I looked specifically for it. (I found meanwhile,
several blazing insights, either not duly appreciated, or subsumed in the
popular mind and no longer attributed -- rather like Freud in that
respect.)

I do recall, however, on the old History of Photography List the catch
phrase, "Sontag-the-Bitch." My interpretation of that is, a woman who
presumes to speak with authority in this male preserve, or perhaps only
has some insights and qualifactions that have not been heretofore
vouchsafed by the old boys' network is by definition .... etc.

In any event, if you have some particulars on that famous antipathy,
I hope you'll share.

> So, who's the donor?

Sontag BTW is probably I would guess doing some quick arithmetic well into
her 60s if not older, and already has a grown son, so I daresay she is not
the bearer. However she does seem to be ever fresh in the minds of even
later generations. Interesting. (Maybe *nice* girls finish last.)

Judy