Re: stop made out of vinegar

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 12/13/02-03:39:33 PM Z

On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Shannon Stoney wrote:

> Seems like I read somewhere that you could make stop out of vinegar. I am
> off in the woods now with no ready access to photochemicals, and a big
> bottle of vinegar. HOw do I dilute it to make stop for film? I think it
> might be 1:3? This info may be in the Darkroom Cookbook, which I don't have
> a copy of.

It's my understanding that the purpose of stop is to stop development
evenly and promptly and protect your fixer from the alkaline developer.
The rest of story, I've been given to understand, is that the exact
proportions are a matter of taste and opinion.

Vinegar is flavored & colored acetic acid. Maybe the bottle even tells
the percent. If you want a quicker stop than just plain water will
provide, maybe start with 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water and see
how it smells. Especially if your film isn't very thick emulsion so it's
flooded quickly and your developer isn't extremely strong, but a rather
gentle one, the exact proportions probably don't matter. However you
might rinse in plain water *after* the stop as well, to further protect
the fix.

J.