done with glyoxal

From: kerik (kerik@kerik.com)
Date: 12/13/02-06:26:51 PM Z

Clay,

Your observavtions match mine exactly. I've sworn off glyoxal for good and am now hardening with formaldehyde. I'm gel coating first,
then hardening as a separate step. I'm of the opinion that the hazards of formaldehyde the way I'm using it are way overblown.
Especially given the fact that little is known about the health effects of glyoxal because it's a pretty obscure chemical that hasn't been
studied in detail the way formaldehyde has.

I'm using a 1.25% solution (of the 'full-strength' 37% formaldehyde - so it's really a 0.5% soltion) for a hardener. I wear a respirator and
keep the solution in a covered tray while I'm working with it. I set it in my sink right next to my exhaust fan. After hardening, I hang up
the paper to dry, then leave the room with the door closed and the fan on at least overnight.

I'm much more likely to be killed driving around looking for photographs than to have any health effects from this approach.

I'm hoping it'll preserve me as I age...

Kerik