RE: Susan Sontag article

From: Jonathan Bailey (quryhous@midcoast.com)
Date: 12/13/02-08:43:05 PM Z

Shannon-

> in a kind of humorous way, for saying that everything now is some sort of
> simulacrum.>

Ahhhh... life in a simulacrum: THOSE were the days.... (Hey!! wait a
minute - didn't mothers use to feed their babies Simulacrum?!?!?!)

> The second idea--it might seem the converse of what has just been
> described--is that in a world saturated, even hypersaturated, with images,

Shannon, my sincere apologies - I'm not picking on you. Your interest in
posting this is sincere and earnest, and I don't wish to negate that.

But, I'd like to ask: at what point did it become necessary for artists to
also be intellectuals?? To a very great extent, the two "disciplines" (for
lack of a better word) are mutually exclusive. And, I'd like to get clear:
are we discussing ideas which serve images - or are we discussing images
which serve ideas?? To me, the difference is an important one....

Best - Jon
www.jonathan-bailey.com
Tenants Harbor, Maine