Re: Susan Sontag article

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 12/14/02-10:44:13 PM Z

On Sat, 14 Dec 2002, Christina Z. Anderson wrote:
> .... My question is this to the group: Must one always be
> able to articulate precisely why, for what reason one did certain work?
> Especially if it is really glorious? Must one always be able to clearly
> articulate the why of a photograph? Can't one say: "Let the photograph speak
> to you!"? Is this a cop out?

Hi christina.... and even if you do articulate it, odds are you'll be
wrong, or change your mind the next week or year, or if your work is
famous and survives (assuming the world survives) it will be valued for
entirely different reasons... The reason this notion is rampant in
schools is because otherwise how are the teachers to imagine that they're
teaching? It's academia -- you gotta do CURRICULUM.

It Either?") I added my own formula for art education: give them the tools
& techniques, power saw, pouring of resins, mixing colors, whatever, show
them a lot of art & get out of the way.

That of course is simplistic... I know I myself feel need to articulate an
idea or insight or premise when it forms in mind... But perhaps as in
anything, morals, friendship, parenting, whatever -- rigid formulation:
decreeing what we must feel, say, do, is a pain in the butt and gets
nowhere except to misses or irrelevancies... I think of the T-shirt
of 2 hands holding the bird -- what's the saying? Let it go & if it
doesn't come back kill it? I've got it wrong, but something like that
obtains with "explaining" art.

HOWEVER, if you want to get famous, it helps, is probably crucial to have
something easily articulated -- art crit does need, goes by literary
values. And maybe teachers should point that out, too.

On the other hand I'd point out some presentation of photography that
flaunts NO WORDS, Get a copy of Robert ParkeHarrison's "The Architect's
Brother," and point out to class NO WORDS, except small type titles & an
entirely (and too too poetic, I thought) irrelevant essay at the end. Yet
the work is astounding... Speaks for itself.

But then again, on 3rd thought, maybe not. The works themselves are
HIGHLY literary.

Judy