Re: visualizing; mixing D-76

From: Carl Weese (cweese@earthlink.net)
Date: 12/15/02-04:48:55 PM Z

Christina,

Haven't done tests except accidentally, where aged D-76 produced excessive
contrast with 35mm Tri-X developed at accurate time/temp. When I mentioned
encountering this, many years ago on the late-lamented CompuServe
PhotoForum, Arthur Kramer replied that this was a known characteristic of
D-76 when used as a one-shot. Change of Ph caused the developer to become
more active. I don't recall whether it gets more acid or alkaline, but it
raises the contrast. He recommended mixing from scratch instead of package,
the night before use. That seemed a bit excessive, but by making sure I
never let D-76 get more than a month old I got excellent consistency
developing many hundreds of rolls of 35mm Tri-X in D-76 1:1. We intuitively
expect that an old developer would "wear out" and get less active, but
that's not necessarily how the chemicals behave.

---Carl

--
        web site with picture galleries
        and workshop information at: