visualizing; mixing D-76

From: Shannon Stoney (shannonstoney@earthlink.net)
Date: 12/15/02-03:07:41 PM Z

Today I played with a little home-made visualizing device made out of a
piece of cardboard with a 4x5 opening cut into it. Really I am shooting 8x10
but I thought the smaller hole would be easier to carry around. But, it was
confusing. I forgot at first that you have to hold it the right distance
from your eyes to simulate the focal length of your lens; so I kept
"finding" little scenes that I couldn't actually shoot. I guess I would
have needed a telephoto lens. Now I am wondering if I need to make an 8x10
hole to carry around and hold it exactly 12" from my face? Or will the 4x5
one work if I hold it the right distance, ie about 6 inches? I have heard
of people using these sorts of devices, but I'm not sure I'm doing it in the
most helpful way. If you use one, I'd like to know how you use it and if
you find it helpful.

 Do people ever
shoot landscapes with telephoto lenses? If not, why not?

Also, here is a question about mixing film developer, D-76 to be exact.
Does it harm the developer if you heat the water to a higher temperature
than the directions specify? Yesterday I poured the powder into almost
boiling water, and then I thought. whoops, maybe that wasn't a good idea.

--shannon