Re: visualizing; mixing D-76

FotoDave@aol.com
Date: 12/15/02-09:37:43 PM Z

Wow, reading all these post on D-76 makes me feel that we are really in
digital age and D-76 has become alternative.

As Sandy pointed out, the original formula that uses borax as the alkali will
increase in alkalinity with time. The improved version that uses balanced
alkali (sodium metaborate) is much more stable with time. The packaged
version, I think it's called the buffered version, uses boric acid and borax
and provide stability also.

As with dissolving the powder from the package, I do use higher temperature
than the recommendated one (though not close to boiling point). It helps in
dissolving the poweder faster.

Hydroquinone doesn't act as developer in D-76 (as the alkalinity is low) but
it acts as metol regenerator.

Dave S