Re: Gum & 50's Color Ad Aesthetic

From: Carl Weese (cweese@earthlink.net)
Date: 12/16/02-05:27:07 AM Z

Joe,

The ads back then were shot on color transparency films: color neg films of
the day were way too coarse and grainy. For expensive ads, these chromes
were often printed in dye transfer and then heavily retouched by hand before
being separated for reproduction. On top of that, magazine inks will
certainly have faded in the forty-fifty intervening years. Just a few
thoughts on "the look".---Carl

--
        web site with picture galleries
        and workshop information at: