Re: Gum & 50's Color Ad Aesthetic

From: Shannon Stoney (shannonstoney@earthlink.net)
Date: 12/16/02-12:10:52 PM Z

Funny that so many people seem to be thinking about this at the same time. I
made some black and white photogravures this past fall, and naturally that
led to the idea of making some four color separation photogravures. In fact
I saw one from Flat Bed Press in Austin that I loved! It had that kind of
fifties look to it. (Or maybe that was partly because of the car in the
picture.) Anyway, the guy that does my scans for me said NOT to give him a
regular color negative, ie Portra, but rather a transparency to scan and
separate. I thought that Portra would be fine to scan. What do people on
this list think? The image I really want to use for the first try is on
Portra. Making one image will require four plates of course, so I want to
be fairly sure it will work before buying four solarplates. I don't care if
the colors aren't perfectly naturalistic.

--shannon