Re: 4x5 Development [ever so slightly off topic]

From: Robert W. Schramm (schrammrus@hotmail.com)
Date: 12/16/02-04:38:16 PM Z

The Combi tank, which has been mentioned works pretty well but involves
opening and closing valves and some semi-tricky manipulation in the dark. It
has the advantage of using a relatively small amount of chemicals compared
to the larger tanks. I think Federal still makes a larger daylight tank for
4 x 5. In fact, I believe this tank can be adjusted for 2 x 3 and 3 x 4.
This tank is easy to load and clean amd is cheaper than the Combi tank. I
think I've seen them in Porter's. The disadvantage is that it holds about a
liter of solution, but then, you can develop 6 - 8 sheets of film in it or
1 sheet if you wish. If you have lots of film to develop then you can go to
sheet film holders (stainless steel) and three rubber tanks. These are not
daylight tanks but you can process a lot of film fairly quickly with them
and they come with lids so you can store the chemicals in them.

I might suggest you consider an alkaline fixer formula so you don't need
stop bath( just a water rinse) and that gets you down to two trays to find
in the dark instead of three.

Bob Schramm
Check out my web page at:

  http://www.SchrammStudio.com