Re: VDB test results: related concerns

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 12/16/02-08:11:42 PM Z

Richard,

Thank you again for your comments re: the formation of iron hydroxide
during VDB printing. I am very aware that the problem is much more
serious with some papers than others, and even papers of the same
brand and mark appear to behave differently from batch to batch. For
example, Arches Aquarelle has always worked very well for me with
both VDB and kallitype, but the current batch I have does not work at
all. The emulsion itself stains the paper and there is no subsequent
way to clear this stain, and toning with platinum or palladium has no
impact at all, when with the last batch of Aauarelle that I used
toning with pt/pd would turn the image a beautiful brownish/black.

There is going to be an article on VDB in the next issue of
Post-Factory. Perhaps it will address some of the differences we see
with the process from paper to paper.

One of the things I would most like to know is if there is any way to
pre-treat papers so that they all respond in a similar way. I was
thinking about experimenting with the 1% oxalic axid bath but just
have not had time to get around to it.

Sandy King