Re: Your kidding, right? Re: Tele landscape

From: Kris Erickson (kerickso@ryerson.ca)
Date: 12/17/02-09:26:02 AM Z

What Jack says is really interesting--
I personally have always considered telephoto as a little voyeuristic (a
little too surveillance photo), but have recently seen some interesting
portraits done with a zoom lens under quite low light conditions. While
the images were, in my opinion, too motion blurry and soft focus to a
fault, I could see some real potential in where they might lead
(specifically in terms of the composition). That said, I wonder now how
they may look as gums or kallitypes.... hmmm....
In terms of telephoto landscapes, I think one of the many possibilities
for such a decision would be the ability of equating the foreground with
the background (creating layers instead of depth), again compressing
(homogenizing?) the picture plane. Interesting.
Jack: which Chinese landscapes are you referring to? When you mentioned
it, Hiroshige first came to mind--tho' Japanese, of course.
Kris