Re: Your kidding, right? Re: Tele landscape

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 12/17/02-10:19:52 AM Z

Sandy King wrote:

> >I also didn't know that a landscape photograph is supposed to show a
> >panoramic vista and what's more, to show proper "photographic"
> >perspective and to represent "reality" accurately. Says who?
>
> Who said that anyway? Sure was not Sam Wang.

No, it wasn't Sam. Perhaps no one said those words exactly; there were
bits and pieces from several different posts that kept bouncing around
in my head and prompted my comment above. But I should have responded to
specific quotes from specific people rather than making a general
comment based on unreferenced impressions; I apologize for that.

 For an example of one of the bits: someone, whose post I must have
deleted and whose name I didn't recognize as a frequent contributor,
said something to the effect that while a photograph of the landscape
taken with a telephoto lens is certainly a photograph, it couldn't
rightly be called a *landscape* photograph, apparently because it
wouldn't represent perspective accurately, which has been puzzling me
ever since.
kt