Re: color neg scans / Gum & 50's Color Ad Aesthetic

From: jmorris (jmorris@morriseditions.com)
Date: 12/17/02-06:57:42 PM Z

on 12/16/02 8:15 PM, Ender100@aol.com at Ender100@aol.com wrote:

> Shannon,
>
> If I am understanding your question correctly, most scanner software has a
> setting for color negatives and inverts the image to a color positive
> automatically during the scan. This is most helpful because you can adjust
> the scan settings from the preview to make sure you are withing the ballpark.
> Some software may come with profiles or settings for specific negative films
> like portra. The Imacon has this.
>
> Mark Nelson
> In a message dated 12/16/02 5:20:15 PM, shannonstoney@earthlink.net writes:
>
> << Also, I heard somewhere that Portra was designed by Kodak to be easy to
> scan
> for digital prints. If you are scanning a Portra negative for a regular ink
> jet print, you would still have to invert it somewhere along the way, or
> the scanner would. So why not for four color separations? My pre-press guy
> uses a real high tech scanner (but gives students a good deal) so the
> scanner is not an issue. I had good luck scanning portra negatives on a flat
> bed scanner too, though, in the past.
>
> --shannon >>

Shannon,

The type of scanner and the software may actually have a significant impact
on your success with color negatives. I have operated a pmt/drum scanner
for years and have rarely scanned a color negative that even approached the
quality of a scan from a good transparency. On the other hand, I used to
own a Leaf 45 CCD scanner which produced very respectable color neg. scans.
For pmt/drum scanners the complaint about color neg. scanning seems to be
almost universal: excessive grain/noise in the final scan; I have not heard
the same
complaint from users of CCD based scanners.

Another issue with color negs. is that there seems to be many more emulsions
available than for transparency films; and, the orange base of color neg
films varies among manufacturers. From a production standpoint this makes
color-management scanning almost impossible and the maintenance of so many
accurate LUTs impractical. And, even with decent software and LUTs the scan
would still only be in the "ballpark" which may be hard to deal with in a
production environment.

Jim Morris