Re: pinhole telephoto

From: S Wang (stwang@direcTVinternet.com)
Date: 12/17/02-10:10:49 PM Z

Shannon,

Pinhole or lens, there is no difference between images made with a
telephoto or with a long focus, as long as the focal lengths are the
same. That is, the perspective is determined by the focal length.
Period.

Technically, as someone else pointed out also, you cannot make a
pinhole into "telephoto", because by definition a telephoto has a
shorter physical length for its focal length.

At long focal length, a pinhole certainly CAN give you the same
Giacomelli-like flattening effect. I wonder whether you can obtain as
good sharpness as wide angle pinhole images though. Try it and let us
know.

By the way, it is critical that the camera does not move during the
long exposure. Not even a little bit. Which may not be that easy with
the bellows completely extended and the exposure going to be so long.
Remember all the talk about reciprocity failure? Let's see, f/750 is
about 12 stops from f/16, so going by "sunny 16" rule, it's 8 seconds
in bright sun with ASA 400 film, before reciprocity correction.

Looking forward to your results.

Sam Wang