Re: Formulary Developer 70

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 12/17/02-09:45:23 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lisa Reddig" <lisa@julianrichards.com>
To: "Alternative" <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2002 9:26 AM
Subject: Formulary Developer 70

> Sorry, sometimes that send button gets hit for no reason.
>
> Let me start again.
>
> I just did my first Lith's using Photographer Formulary's
Developer 70 for
> high-contrast film. It all came out great. My question
is the danger of
> the chemicals. There is hydroquinone, potassium
metabisulfite & potassium
> bromide in Part A. Only sodium hydroxide in Part B.
There is a lot of
> mention of the danger of Sodium Hydroxide, and therefore
the mixture is
> pretty dangerous. My question is: is it more dangerous
than all the other
> chemicals I have been developing negs and prints in for
years. Or are they
> just covering themselves in case I get hurt. I'm not
saying I want to be
> crazy and not be careful with chemicals, but it makes it
hard for me to work
> if I am totally consumed with the danger of the chemicals.
>
> Lisa

   None of the Part A chemicals are particularly dangerous.
Metol and Hydroquinone can cause skin alergies in some
people. The metabisulfite is a preservative. In solution
with the hydroxide sulfite is produced. The bromide is a
restrainer.
  Part B is hazardous, hydroxide is very caustic, it can
cause skin burns when in strong solution. Its the same as
lye, as others have pointed out. Mix it in cold water
because it evolves considerable heat when going into
solution.
  Now, this is the same stuff as sold as drain cleaners. Red
Devil Lye is pure enough to be used in photographic
solutions. Drano is a mixture of lye and aluminum chips to
increase the heat, not suitable for photographic purposes.
Many cleaning products are more dangerous than any
photographic chemicals other than potassium cyanide. If you
feel safe using drain cleaner this stuff is no more
dangerous.
  BTW, don't mix bleach and ammonia when cleaning, the
result is a quite toxic gas.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA